Sunday 15 March 2015

Top 85 Freeware Horror Indie Games - my thoughts



I was watching a video made by Tats TopVideos titled 'Top 85 Freeware Horror Indie Games' today, during watching the video I was noticing a trend in most of these horror games, usually the player would be armed with a flashlight or some form of light source and must navigate around a maze-like area either collecting items (pages like in the 'Slender' games) or trying to reach the exit (like in 'Hide').
     One of the pages to find in 'Slender'  
One thing I have also noticed is a lack of weapons in most of these games. Leading me to question whether people find it more scary if you've got no weapon to fight back, or if the game becomes non-scary with a weapon in your hand (after all, games such as 'Doom', 'Fear' and 'Nightmare House 2' manage to make horror games which players have found scary yet they all have guns). 

One game stood out on the list though called 'Donald: A Horror Story'. Unlike the other games you have a revolver which can damage enemies, BUT it's said to be not very effective on any of them. Whether this was intentional or not this is interesting as the player is still seemingly defenceless despite having a weapon that can harm the monsters. However, the game was placed at no.74 on the list which is low.

                                       
The game with the 'almost useless' revolver

Overall the reason why I watched this video is because I'm intrigued with horror games as well as what free games that have been made. This is because I want to try and create a horror game myself, one not lasting very long, but at least having a unique point about it (just like when 'Slender' first came out, most people were saying what a genius mechanic it was and that it's not been made before). Therefore watching at least 85 free indie horror games has made me sure of what idea I have has not been made and I could perhaps make a good and different horror game, rather than 'another collect items or reach the exit' type.

Tats TopVideos video is linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2ZVtKfTFgE

Slender: The Eight Pages can be found here: http://slender.en.softonic.com/

Donald: A Horror Story can be found here: http://gamejolt.com/games/other/donald-a-horror-story-full/14628/

No comments:

Post a Comment